Unnamed Blog with Serifs.

My dumb old blog from when I was 16.

Sunday, May 23

As seen Here, it seems that the Music Industry is getting angry because people are taking their own mp3's (even legally purchased music) and using them as ringtones on their phones. I'm sure that current law allows you to do this, but this got me tihnking about something I thought of a while ago...

It seems that he only logical argument the Music Industry coudl have for this is that the license they sold you when you bought a CD isonly for the CD in that particular form � that exact file, on that exact CD. So they're claiming that if you want the same song on your phone, it's actually not coverd by that license you purchased, because the audio file on your phone is different than the one on the CD, and in a different place.

So if that's they're argument, that the same basic music in a diffeent format or on a different medium is not covered by the original lisence, than by that logic, they can't fine me for uploading an MP3. The music file I uploaded on the p2p networks is not the same one they licensed to me, and therefore it is not covered by the original license, and I can od whatever I want with it.

Of course, this is not anything that would hold up in court, but that's exactly my point � thir argument is illogical, and just plain ridiculous. Most poeple already know that, but this is just one more example of how so.

Powered by Blogger